While working in the inner-city of Harlem, NY I kept a blog about the life lessons I learned. Some days I was far too idealistic, while others I was picking myself up out of the gutter. But in the end I'm grateful for it all.
Tuesday, November 4, 2008
its 2am tuesday november 5th. our world just changed. the trees and lights on my street are draped with toilet paper. they look like tears of celebration. the subway was full of strangers. laughing, smiling, and crying. the village was full of shouts of praise, oh hope. i was overcome. tears. wonder. splendor. these is what belief turned into actual reality feels like. right after the announcement i couldn't help but cry. my boss called me "we did it stacey, we did it" thats the most amazing part of this all. it is we. we who called strangers. we who registered voters. we who waited in line. we who pulled the lever. we who believed. we who didn't quit. and he is right, we didn't do this for him. we did this for my kids: so they could see a president that reflected them. we did it for the poor: so they would have someone who would understand. we did it for those who are not equal in society: so we could have someone who understands love will never divide us. we did it for all of us. tonight, as i wrapped my hands around my friends. as i was silent. as i listened. i started to understand what history feels like. how one human with inspiration and drive can change a country person by person. i am proud to be here. to know that i had the opportunity to be apart of the we. we did it.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment